[Wolves] Test Video Conference

Adam Sweet adamsweet at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 17:04:48 UTC 2020

On 20/03/2020 16:16, Adam Sweet wrote:
> On 20/03/2020 16:07, Adam Sweet wrote:
>> On 20/03/2020 12:36, Adam Sweet wrote:
>>> Just in case anybody has missed it in the other thread, Ron has set up a
>>> test meeting on the Jitsi servers:
>>>
>>> https://meet.jit.si/wolveslug.
>>>
>>> As Ron said, he'll leave the meeting running for a few hours.
>>
>> FWIW, we've had about 6 people at various times today, 3 at any one
>> time. Jitsi seems a bit flaky to be honest, it seems to mostly work for
>> some of us some of the time.
>>
>> Chrome couldn't access my microphone though my webcam worked fine.
>> Firefox works fine for both for me. Ron was fine with Chromium but not
>> Firefox and other people had intermittent problems with either sound or
>> video the resulted in a lot of browser closing and re-opening or rebooting.

FWIW, people seems to be reporting AV issues in lots of different
platforms that previously worked fine, so it may well be that such
systems are all under strain that they've not previously been exposed
to. Self-hosting may be the way forward.

>> Does anybody want to try Jami:
>>
>> https://jami.net/
>
> On the plus side, jami is in the standard Ubuntu repos for those who use
> anything based on it. On the downside you have to create an account (see
> https://jami.net/help/ for what that means), but conferencing depends on
> adding individuals to a single call.
>
> You can try calling me, I'm adsweet.

The package on the website seems a bit newer and works better than the
one in the Ubuntu repositories.

Ad