[Wolves] Virtual Meeting - March 9th

Chris Ellis chris at intrbiz.com
Wed Mar 9 19:14:49 UTC 2022

On Wed, 9 Mar 2022, 18:53 Mark Croft Redditch Linux Mint via Wolves, <
wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:

> attending need to get my head around installing 4g mobile receiver
> with bad reception it seems on all network but i can't get a straight
> answers out of ppl. is there a way to test for 4g strength on each
> network without having too take out a contract on each provider too
> find out which one got the fattest and most reliable speeds..

Not really.  Performance on the same network can vary from area to area
significantly.  Its all a trade off of people to spectrum.

Signal strength is no garuntee of performance.  I get the same singal
strength on 3 here as at my parents.  Yet here on speedtest I get ~2Mb at
my parents ~80Mb.

> his yard is near  The Common, Earlswood B94 5SL
>
> he a cheap stake? the yard offers wifi but it very slow speed i can't
> remember what now cos my mobile only had 10% battery when i was up
> there at 3pm i will go up with my spare mobile to get a better reading
> , my mobile needs new battery but the price of the battery is a same
> as a second hand phone with bad mattery..

Best option is to get some pay as you go sims and run speedtest.  £5 worth
of credit on EE, 3 and O2 is propably enough.

If thats to expensive, just tell him to live with what he's got.