[Wolves] Fwd: Wave security on mstata drive

Chris Ellis chris at intrbiz.com
Wed Sep 21 13:08:39 UTC 2022

Hi

On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 10:51 PM Mark Croft Redditch Linux Mint via
Wolves <wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:

> I have been tasked with fixing
> Dell LATITUDE E7240
>
> SAMSUNG SSD SM841 SED mSATA 256GB
>
> S184NYAF203910
>
> Check pics
>
> I have the password but can not get into windows repair menu f8..
>
> I am guessing new msata card ?
>
> I have booted in ubuntu . It sees it but can delete the wave partition
>
> I have searched for wave software thinking maybe there a utility too switch off the write protection but no luck
>
> Any ideas..

It looks like Wave uses the Self-Encrypting Drive functionality, part
of the OPAL 2.0 spec to secure the drive.

It looks like the only option is to do a PSID revert, this may not be
possible on an OEM drive.  This might be possible with sedutil, or
Samsung Magician.

You may need to read the PSID from the drive sticker.  If your lucky
there might be a UEFI option to erase and reset the drive.

This seems to be the best guide I can find:
  https://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/using-sedutil-to-psid-revert-a-samsung-or-crucial-ssd/
  https://github.com/Drive-Trust-Alliance/sedutil/blob/master/linux/PSIDRevert_LINUX.txt

> --

Chris