[Wolves] topic for wed online meeting jitsi - Fwd: learning android on linux

Carles Pina i Estany carles at pina.cat
Tue Feb 14 22:31:27 UTC 2023

Hi Chris, Mark,

I agree with what Chris said.

I will not be on the online meeting but...

Mark: there are many technologies to do what I think that you described.
And some off the shelf (I'm not familiar with the off the shelf
solutions for the problem that you described).

A way to implement it: using Django web framework. But do have a look
and see how you feel best!
(Django has an admin panel and might get you part there... or might not,
depends many things!)

On Feb/14/2023, Chris Ellis via Wolves wrote:
> Hi Mark
>
> Android apps are mostly Kotlin or using something like React Native
> (Javascript).
>
> Given the use case you've outlined I would seriously question whether
> it needs to
> be or is best being an app.  It sounds like you could achieve what you
> want with a
> PWA (https://web.dev/what-are-pwas/) or just a plain responsive website.
>
> Going down those routes lets you use whichever language / framework you want,
> but I suggest picking something common.
>
> You might find one of the off the shelf ticketing / issue management / CRM type
> systems could be the basis for your 'job management' use cases.
>
> Chris
>
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2023 at 7:48 PM Mark Croft Redditch Linux Mint via
> Wolves <wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> > hi
> >
> > i want to learn android programming on linux.. is there a good 4gen
> > language that similar to delphi or something more modern. I want to
> > have a go at making an admin tool for repair cafe about customers
> > booking in there repairs and putting photos and keep a thread of
> > discussions with repair team online  also keep tracking of repair of
> > item and any parts that been orderde keep the up to date information
> > about the status of repair . i am finding it pretty hard to
> > communicate with ppl and they just do not understand some of the basic
> > questions like which version of windows do u watn on the laptop that
> > impacts the cost. i think some of the issue is my poor english and
> > waiting for answers holds up the repairs.. customers are not keen too
> > order parts and then the issue of parked repair gets annoying it more
> > a tool for me too use for now and hopefully other ppl will find it
> > useful.. would be nice to have a web-base solution for now and i can
> > type reeems of very verbose stuff..
> > we keep getting lots of ppl interested but they do not turn up we was
> > expecting 30 items last sunday but only 10 people turned up loads of
> > communcation and we loss them as customers would be nice to track the
> > customer/client.. maybe i am making it too complex but repairing
> > laptops is complex.. i not had much luck trying to convert too people
> > too chrome os flex there loads of missinformation about it and ppl
> > hate with out even trying it.. really weird world we living in , with
> > lots of fake information and loads FUD.
> >
> > --
Carles Pina i Estany
https://carles.pina.cat || Wiktionary translations: https://kamus.pina.cat