[Wylug-admin] Web site

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Tue Jun 13 09:18:47 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 05:45:51PM +0100, Dave Fisher wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 02:51:04PM +0100, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> > I note the website has the next meeting as being 13 Mar 2006...
>
> Yep, you're not the first to note the fact.
>
> The immediate blame is entirely mine.
>
> My lame excuse is that the current site is a pain in the backside to
> maintain via ssh (i.e. bash and vim configs which trip my fingers up at
> what seems like every keystroke).

Not really the way to move forward :-)

> When I've only got half an hour or so to get out notices before
> travelling to some job or other, it's much easier to post an email than
> it is to post on the website.
>
> I've been trying to get some sort of simple CMS installed since last
> summer.

We've vaguely talked about this before.

I'm *still* in the process of writing the talk suggestion thing - but
changing jobs has delayed it further. There's no reason why we couldn't
build CMS into this, and an old freelance client of mine wants a CMS
writing so there's a possibility of them paying for the development,
which would be nice :-)

In reality, the talk manager would be a plugin for the CMS.

Part of what they want to do is have their community contribute articles
which their staff can tidy up and publish on the site. This would fit in
nicely with WYLUG - I'd love to have the members write howto's and book
reviews but I don't think a Wiki would be structured enough.

> Unfortunately, and perfectly understandably, the University admins have
> security concerns but have not had the time to evaluate/test any of the
> alternatives.

What are their security concerns?

> If we can't get anything sorted out soon, I'd suggest we get something
> up and running elsewhere and get the University to redirect in the short
> term.  We could perhaps move back to the Uni once their issues have been
> resolved.

Maybe - there are plenty of places to host this with perhaps more
flexibility than the Uni can reasonable be expected to offer.

> As I've told several people, I've set aside a block of time in August to
> get this done and I've had a couple of offers of help.

I'll also have time in July/August - we'll try and get something
sorted.

James