[Wylug-admin] Getting next Monday's talk on the blog

Louisa Parry louisa at louisaparry.co.uk
Sun May 4 16:14:45 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-05-04 at 16:43 +0100, Dave Fisher wrote:
> I was planning to do a new Advanced CSS talk:
>
>   "How IE Screws Everything Up and What You Can Do About It"
>
> Having seen the previous comments about Geekup, that might be a more
> appropriate forum, but if you want a full agenda, I can do this talk at
> virually no notice (just enough time to get slides onto the correct USB
> stick).

That sounds very interesting - and certainly something that'll appeal to
the GeekUp crowd.  Do you think you can fit into their "20 slides, 20
seconds a slide" structure?

If not, perhaps it could be one of the June talks - to allow us to
promote it fully over on GeekUp and elsewhere.

> From memory, Nigel and Smylers are two (of possibly 3) moderators.
>
> While I'd be happy to open it up a bit, I don't think that unmoderated
> posting to announce should be open to a large number of people.
>
> Aside from the obvious (and less important) issue of spammy misposts,
> the fundamental problem with sharing responsibilities is that people
> hope (and sometimes expect) that someone else will do the boring and
> onerous bits of work.
>
> Personally, I think only one person plus a reserve should be responsible
> for posting meeting announcements.  If neither of these people is
> available, they should always be able to get a moderator to pass
> through a specific message from a designated substitute.

I agree that it shouldn't be a huge amount of people but think it would
be good if a couple more people (those organising the talks etc) had
access to announce them to prevent delays.  Actually, it's not so much
the talk announcements I'm worried about getting delayed - it's last
minute changes of plan because that's when the delays can cause
problems.

It would be good if the moderators were also listed on the wiki so we
know who to prod if something gets stuck.

-louisa :)