[Wylug-admin] posting of offers/discounts for members?

Dave Fisher davef at davefisher.co.uk
Thu May 8 10:46:26 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 11:27:59AM +0100, James Holden wrote:
> All,
>
> I can't remember if we've done this one before...
>
> My employer wants to offer a discount to WYLUGgers on server colocation
> in our Leeds facility.
>
> It'd be a perpetual discount of 15% for sales before the end of May.
>
> Has this sort of thing been deemed acceptable before? I seem to remember
> doing something similar for fastdiscs many years ago.

Not sure about this one.

I've no fundamental objection to posting offers per se, but I don't
want to accept the generic principal that any commercial operation can
spam us, merely by offering some kind of discount.

For example, I'm happy to accept mail offering discounts on UKUUG
membership or even publicising further discounts that come with UKUUG
membership, but I'd be really pissed-off if I started to get co-lo
offers from every ISP under the sun.

How does *perpetual* go with *before the end of May* ?

If perpetual meant WYLUG members get a 15% discount whenerver they buy
co-lo from you, I'd be more positively disposed to the idea, but still
not really sure.

I think that the problem is that I'd want to discriminate on the basis
of OSS-friendliness/consciousness, and I'm not sure that a rule-based
system can do that.

Dave