[Wylug-admin] re. use of University Room...

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Sat May 10 21:53:55 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 08:57:32PM +0100, Mark P. Conmy wrote:

> On Fri, 9 May 2008, Tom Hall wrote:
> >
> >>I think someone needs to discuss things with mark.
> >>Anything else would end up as chinese whispers.
[snip]

> Oddly, having spent a couple of weeks away dealing with my dying (and
> now dead) Grandmother, the funeral, etc, and having lots of my paid job
> to resolve on my return, this hasn't been my only priority.
>
> I will make sure that the venue is available on Monday, and we can
> discuss the future later.
>
> I'm not feeling particularly appreciated nor well-disposed-to-WYLUG at
> this second...

Mark,

I fully appreciate your circumstances and understand that WYLUG isn't
something you quite need to be on your agenda at the moment.

I'm not a founder member, but I have been involved with WYLUG since
about 1999/2000 and because of this I'm not prepared to let it die on
its feet like it pretty much did last month.

I'd love nothing more than to acquire a relationship with the University
where any one of Tom, Louisa, John or myself are able to open up the
room, even if it needs one or all of us to meet the health and safety
requirements by way of some training.

Realistically, I expect there to to be more than a fair amount of red
tape in doing this, if it's possible at all.

WYLUG and the Uni have both enjoyed a mutually beneficial relationship
over the last decade, and it'd be an real shame to lose that.

In practical terms though, it wouldn't be a disaster for for WYLUG to
lose it's venue - it could be replaced, either by a free room at a local
pub, or by a paid venue by sponsorship. It doesn't actually matter very
much to me.

I'd be very interested though in meeting with members of CSC staff and
the University facilities management to see what could be done to keep
WYLUG in its spiritual home in the Uni.

If we could relieve you of the burden, Mark, then we would would do so
immediately. As it stands now, you're the sole remaining link between
WYLUG and the University. This is something that needs addressing for
your sake and for WYLUGs sake.

I'm sure the "new regime" as Jim puts it can sort out a reasonable
solution to the problem that doesn't rely on yourself.

All the best,

James