[Wylug-admin] re. use of University Room...

Mark P. Conmy mpc at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Sat May 10 22:33:30 UTC 2008

On Sat, 10 May 2008, James Holden wrote:

> [snip]
>
>> Oddly, having spent a couple of weeks away dealing with my dying (and
>> now dead) Grandmother, the funeral, etc, and having lots of my paid job
>> to resolve on my return, this hasn't been my only priority.
>>
>> I will make sure that the venue is available on Monday, and we can
>> discuss the future later.
>>
>> I'm not feeling particularly appreciated nor well-disposed-to-WYLUG at
>> this second...
>
> Mark,
>
> I fully appreciate your circumstances and understand that WYLUG isn't
> something you quite need to be on your agenda at the moment.

James,

I think people are jumping to all sorts of conclusions.

The first is that I'm looking for sympathy for my Grandmother, which I'm
not.  Close as I was, she had past 90 and I was as ready for her death
as I could be.  I was merely explaining that I've been away and that I
have a lot on my plate getting things in order that have been neglected
in my absence.  There is much more than WYLUG on that list, much of
which is my day job - something I'm paid for.

The second is that I somehow owe instant responses.  I don't.  Like
everyone else, I am a volunteer.  That said, as Jim and Dave know, I
have done my best over the years to ensure that the venue was available.
That has included stepping into the breach with virtually zero notice.
Why assume that this has changed?

I am not interested in this constant stream of discussion directed at
me.  The venue will be available and we can discuss the rest _later_.
After this message, I'm dropping off the wylug-admin list.

Okay?

Mark