[Wylug-admin] re. use of University Room...

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Sat May 10 22:48:27 UTC 2008

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 11:33:20PM +0100, Mark P. Conmy wrote:

[snip]

> >I fully appreciate your circumstances and understand that WYLUG isn't
> >something you quite need to be on your agenda at the moment.
>
> James,
>
> I think people are jumping to all sorts of conclusions.
>
> The first is that I'm looking for sympathy for my Grandmother, which I'm
> not.  Close as I was, she had past 90 and I was as ready for her death
> as I could be.  I was merely explaining that I've been away and that I

Wasn't a sympathy exercise, just an acknowledgement of you having a lot
on your plate, as many of us do.

> have a lot on my plate getting things in order that have been neglected
> in my absence.  There is much more than WYLUG on that list, much of
> which is my day job - something I'm paid for.
>
> The second is that I somehow owe instant responses.  I don't.  Like
> everyone else, I am a volunteer.  That said, as Jim and Dave know, I
> have done my best over the years to ensure that the venue was available.
> That has included stepping into the breach with virtually zero notice.
> Why assume that this has changed?

The only instant response I was expecting was "yup - I'm busy, somebody
else please do this stuff".

If you can't that's fine, but I need to know so I can get other people
on it.

Really, just drop the WYLUG responsibilities for a while. We can all see
you need to clear the decks a bit. You're a valued member of the WYLUG
community but like for many other folks, other stuff comes up and
pushes it down the list.

(... and it really is fine, we'll manage, just glad you're there!)

> I am not interested in this constant stream of discussion directed at
> me.  The venue will be available and we can discuss the rest _later_.
> After this message, I'm dropping off the wylug-admin list.

Good idea if you're not able to participate. I'm not meaning that in any
way other that it's what I'd do if I was snowed under with crap.

> Okay?

Completely.

James