[Wylug-announce] Next Meeting - Monday 13th March

Jim Jackson jj@scs.leeds.ac.uk
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 15:06:55 +0000 (GMT)

Greetings all,

The Last Meeting

The February meeting clashed with Valentines night, so obviously some
people had other things to. Despite that there was a good turn out to
hear Stuart Green describe how the local chemistry dept. has made
extensive use of Linux, for everything from high performance computing
to firewalling/proxying. We also had QuadraTec give us a presentation on
their commercial integrated backup solutions for Linux, Unix, NT and other
OSes. Good to see Linux becoming a focus for commercial offerings now.

We had a rebellion at the last meeting :-) There was a demand for a change
of pub for the after meeting drink. So the Londoner was abandonned and we
went to the Hog's Head on George Street. I suspect the ring leader either
had insider info or was psychic, 'cos the Londoner was closed that night!
Seemingly custom is tailing off and they are/were trying a trial early
closing.

So this month I think it's down to the Hog's Head again. If people are
going to be revolting about this (:-) can they do it now so we can fix
the pub venue for people who may want to join us later?

The New Lists

I'm still getting a few emails asking me to do list admin stuff.
But as everyone should know, you can do their own thing now by
going to http://list.wylug.lug.org.uk  for list administration, joining,
leaving, changing details, etc

The Next Meeting - 13th March

"Introduction to Gnu Privacy Guard"
Simon Wood
Pace Micro Technology plc

Simon says he'll give a brief introduction to GnuPG, getting/building/using.
Explain why everyone should use it and what the pit-falls are etc

"Parallel Processing on Linux Clusters"
Karim Djemame
Computer Studies, University of Leeds

A cluster is a type of parallel or distributed processing system, which
consists of a collection of interconnected stand-alone computers,
cooperatively working together as a single, integrated computing resource.
Karim's talk will give a general presentation of Linux based clusters
which are seen everywhere these days.

April 10th Meeting

Roger Whittaker of SuSE Linux Ltd will talk to us, topics to be firmed up.

Future Meetings

I need volunteers to do talks for future meetings.

That's it.

All the best
Jim

                West Yorkshire Linux Users Group  (WYLUG)

             Meetings are free and open to anyone to attend.

                      7 pm  Monday 13th March 2000
                        (6:30pm for coffee/tea)

        Presentations:

                  "Introduction to Gnu Privacy Guard"
                              Simon Wood
                       Pace Micro Technology plc

                "Parallel Processing on Linux Clusters"
                             Karim Djemame
                 Computer Studies, University of Leeds

        WYLUG Venue:  Active Learning Lab.,  (Level 7, near staircase 2)
                      E.C. Stoner Building   (aka Physics/Admin)
                      University of Leeds
                      Woodhouse Lane
                      Leeds UK

             for location of Leeds University & Campus Map see
                http://www.leeds.ac.uk/campus/location-maps.html
                http://www.leeds.ac.uk/campus/physa-1.html
                http://www.leeds.ac.uk/campus/campusmap.html

        General Discussion:

                LINUX  -  News, Views, Question and, hopefully, Answers

                WYLUG  -  what, who, when (and why :-)
                 Especially what happens at future meetings!

        followed by beer at the Hog's Head Pub, Great George Street

WYLUG - West Yorkshire Linux User Group     Secretary: jj@scs.leeds.ac.uk
http://www.wylug.lug.org.uk     email lists: http://list.wylug.lug.org.uk