[Wylug-announce] Next Meeting - Monday 8th October 2001

Jim Jackson wylug-discuss at wylug.org.uk
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 12:01:45 +0100 (BST)

Greetings all,

I hear that last month's meeting was a success. Sorry for not being there.
Thanks to Tobias and Nigel.

Network security, network security, network security is flavour of the
month again. Owen Le Blanc from MCC, is doing a presentation on securing
your Linux system. He writes....

"Recently we have seen more and better Internet access, and more and
better hackers on the Internet. The result is that more boxes are
getting hacked, and faster than ever before. Is your Linux box secure?
Here is some advice on closing ports, reconfiguring unnecessary
services, checking for your own weaknesses, and keeping up-to-date with
security patches. I don't feel this talk contains anything new, but
maybe a timely reminder is useful even for experts."

And Dave Waller has volunteered to an introduction and demo of Big
Brother. He writes.....

"Big Brother monitors System and Network-delivered services for
availability. Current network status is displayed on a color-coded web
page in near-real time.  Problems are notified by e-mail, pager, or
text messaging.  Big Brother is provided in source code format for
Unix and Linux, and precompiled for Windows NT and Windows 2000. User
contributed clients are also available for Netware, Mac OS/9, VMS,
AS/400 and VM/ESA"

Next month, Nov 12th, we have Jason Vokes from Borland UK giving a
presentation on Kylix and talking about Borland's relationship with
Linux.

The December meeting is still not finalised, but plans are in hand.
We are planning on a Xmas/4th Birthday meal out after the Dec meeting,
Rob over to you.

See you all on Monday,

cheers
Jim

                West Yorkshire Linux Users Group  (WYLUG)

             Meetings are free and open to anyone to attend.
                          ----             ------

                      7 pm  Monday 8th October 2001
                         (6:30pm for coffee/tea)

        Presentations:

                         Securing a Linux System
                              Owen Le Blanc
                       Manchester Computing Centre

               Big Brother - Introduction and Demonstration
                               David Waller
                 School of Chemistry, University of Leeds

        WYLUG Venue:  Active Learning Lab.,  (Level 7, near staircase 2)
                      E.C. Stoner Building   (aka Physics/Admin)
                      University of Leeds
                      Woodhouse Lane
                      Leeds UK

             for location of Leeds University & Campus Map see
                http://www.leeds.ac.uk/campus/location-maps.html
                http://www.leeds.ac.uk/campus/physa-1.html
                http://www.leeds.ac.uk/campus/campusmap.html

        General Discussion:

                LINUX  -  News, Views, Question and, hopefully, Answers

                WYLUG  -  what, who, when (and why :-)
                 Especially what happens at future meetings!

    Followed by beer and drinks at the Victoria Hotel, Great George Street

WYLUG - West Yorkshire Linux User Group     Organiser: jj@comp.leeds.ac.uk
http://www.wylug.org.uk              email lists: http://list.wylug.org.uk