[Wylug-announce] ManLUG Meetings for January and February 2002

Dr A V Le Blanc Dr A V Le Blanc <LeBlanc at mcc.ac.uk>
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 15:19:51 +0000

MANLug meetings for January and February 2002.

19 January 2002, 14:00, usual place.  (For more information, see
our website: http://www.manlug.man.ac.uk, under 'How to find us'.)
Reminder: Please bring a 'photo ID' to show the porters if you are
asked.

     David Holder (david.holder@erion.co.uk)
          Dr David Holder
          Erion Ltd
          5 East View Terrace
          Otley
          West Yorkshire
          LS21 1JN
     IPv6 on Linux -- An Overview

This will be a double session, since the other two January talks
have been postponed.  David will present IPv6, asking why we
should bother with it, what are its main features, what the
addresses look like, autoconfiguration, security, mobility,
and other topics.  Then he will look at the status of IPv6
worldwide, the Linux implementation, and topics relating to
the Domain Name Service and other key applications.  He points
out that this is a lot to cover, so it will not go into
the bits very deeply.  (This means if you don't know much about
IPv6, you should still be able to follow this pretty easily.)

After the break, we hope to have a demo using a number of
virtual machines, which will show IPv6 in action, and of course
you can ask questions.

16 February 2002, 14:00, usual place.  (For more information, see
our website: http://www.manlug.man.ac.uk, under 'How to find us'.)

     Mike Richardson
     An Introduction to Linux

Someone asked us to put on an introduction to Linux for absolute
beginners, and Mike volunteered to adapt his one-day course to
make it a three-hour course.  We will have some slides and some
hands-on experience as well.  If you're not interested in the topic,
please come anyway: you might want to help out, or you might just
join in the discussion.

I have several postponed talks, and a few other suggestions, which
might cover March (though I don't know if you can trust speakers
who postpone a talk!), but I'd still like to have a few more
people with presentations or discussions or anything.  (I thought
the November report on the Red Hat Certification programme started
a very good discussion.)  Plese come forward with offers or ideas,
and we'll do what we can to make them happen.

     -- Owen
     LeBlanc@mcc.ac.uk

For PGP key 1024 bits 4BDCFB31, see http://www.man.ac.uk/~zlsiial/
or send email to pgp-public-keys@keys.pgp.net.
Key fingerprint = DC 60 81 A4 33 7F 95 40  D0 86 3B 51 48 0A AC 0E