[Wylug-announce] Next Meeting - Monday 13th May 2002

Jim Jackson jj at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu, 9 May 2002 13:51:10 +0100 (BST)

Greetings all,

Thanks to Jonathan for the look at the Gentoo Linux distribution last
month. Apologies for the demo being cut short in my talk - but the SBC
actually had died and is being repaired under warranty, but I've still not
got it back :-(

This month we have Aaron Crane of GBDirect, with the provocatively titled
talk "Does XML suck? or: Why XML is technologically terrible, but you have
to use it anyway". Aaron's done a wonderful synopsis, but it's too big for
here, so will post seperately to the wylug-discuss list.

We also have Neil Pilgrim giving "An Introduction to CORBA - A Tool for
Translucent Distributed Application Development". He intends to give a
brief introduction, a rough technical overview and show some example code.

This meeting is is where we say so long to the venue. By the time of the
June meeting the builders will be in and doing their damage. The June 10th
Meeting will be in the Chemistry Department at the opposite end of the
campus. I hope to have maps to hand out at the meeting and to post on the
web site.

Re. future meetings, I know Smylers has volunteered to talk about Request
Tracker 2, I think for the June meeting, is that right Smylers? And I
seem to remember someone else volunteering to do a talk, prob in July?
Maybe I'm hallucinating.

See you all on Monday,

cheers
Jim

                West Yorkshire Linux Users Group  (WYLUG)

             Meetings are free and open to anyone to attend.
                          ----             ------

                       7 pm  Monday 13th May 2002
                         (6:30pm for coffee/tea)

        Presentations:

                             Does XML suck?
                 or: Why XML is technologically terrible,
                      but you have to use it anyway
                              Aaron Crane
                               GBDirect

                        An Introduction to CORBA
         A Tool for Translucent Distributed Application Development
                              Neil Pilgrim

        WYLUG Venue:   Active Learning Lab.,  (Level 7, near staircase 2)
        (Last Meeting  E.C. Stoner Building   (aka Physics/Admin)
        at this venue) University of Leeds
                       Woodhouse Lane
                       Leeds UK

             for location of Leeds University & Campus Map see
                http://www.leeds.ac.uk/visitors/directions.htm
                http://www.leeds.ac.uk/campus/physa-1.html
                http://www.leeds.ac.uk/campus_map/campus.htm

        General Discussion:

                LINUX  -  News, Views, Question and, hopefully, Answers

                WYLUG  -  what, who, when (and why :-)
                 Especially what happens at future meetings!

          Discussions Continue after the meeting at the Victoria Pub
              on Great George St. at the back of the Town Hall.