[Wylug-announce] WYLUG's Linux Introductory Meetings...... (fwd)

Jim Jackson jj at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:44:08 +0000 (GMT)

Hi All,

Here is a flyer for the Introductory series of talks we are giving upto
June. Dave are I have twisted enough arms to commit to this, and I have
several volunteers for non-introductory talks which I'm in the process of
confirming, indeed there may be too many :-)

We are hoping to get a decent turn out of new or wannabe Linux Users,
so

  Please, Pretty Please, Can people pass this on as much as possible.

  WYLUGers in Schools, Colleges, Universities, Clubs, etc please give as
  much publicity as possible to these events.

It's in the form of a press release, I will be sending to press/radio in
Leeds, if you have contacts then please forward it also.

All the best
Jim
p.s. I'm hoping to circulate an A4 Poster people can use for publicity -
hopefully this evening.

                       Linux is Everywhere
                       -------------------

    Now there's help to understand it, use it, and use it better.

Are you one of the many people new to Linux or just thinking of giving it
a go? If so, then you should be interested in the series of introductory
free talks being run by The West Yorkshire Linux User Group (WYLUG)
http://www.wylug.org.uk .

Each meeting will cover an introductory general topic (see below) along
with a short talk on some aspect of configuring hardware for Linux. New,
and old, Linux Users will be able to put their questions to the many WYLUG
Linux experts from industry and academia that will be on hand.

The first meeting in this series, on February 10th, will be an
Introduction to Linux, for those new to using it, and a talk on the
history and background story of Linux.

The meeting dates and main topics are :-

 Mon Feb 10th    Introduction to Linux:
                 Understanding Its Strengths and Differences
                 Dave Fisher, GBDirect Consultancy and Training

                 The History and Pre-History of Linux
                 Mark Conmy, School of Computing, University of Leeds

 Mon Mar 10th    The Dreaded Command Line:
                 Easier to Use and More Powerful Than Expected

 Mon Apr 14th    Finding Your Way Around the System:
                 Filesystems, Hardrives, CDs, Floppies

 Mon May 12th    Getting Tools to Fit the Job:
                 Using Components, Pipes, Redirection, etc.

 Mon Jun 9th     Editing and Word Processing:
                 vi, emacs, OpenOffice

Some hardware we hope to cover, printers, modems, ADSL, sound, cameras,
video capture, scanners

Meetings start informally at 6:30pm, talks start 7pm prompt.

WYLUG Meetings are hosted by the School of Computing at the University of
Leeds. See the WYLUG Web Site, under "meeting information" for how to find
the venue. All WYLUG meetings are free and open to anyone to attend.

For further details email Jim Jackson <jj@comp.leeds.ac.uk>, or phone
him on 0113 3436794 (daytime) or 01924 824488 (eve and weekends)

WYLUG - West Yorkshire Linux User Group    Organiser: jj@comp.leeds.ac.uk
http://www.wylug.org.uk             email lists: http://list.wylug.org.uk