[Wylug-announce] VMWare discount offer

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.InTechnology.co.uk
Thu Jan 8 10:53:55 GMT 2004

VMWare are running a LUG program at the moment.

As part of this they have asked for a list of our users' email
addresses, which they were going to use to send an offer to people,
which is a $100 rebate on a VMWare purchase.

As I understand the Data Protection Law in the UK I cannot send this
information, and do not in general agree with LUGs acting as spam
enhancers.

However the offer is a good one, so I have discussed things with VMWare
and got the following information from them:-
      * The rebate offer is good for the UK as well as the US.
      * If I collect a list of names and emails from interested people
        and send them on to VMWare they will include those people in on
        the offer mailing
      * For reasons of scaling they do not wish to have individual LUG
        members all mailing them.

So if anyone is interested in receiving VMWare sales information with
the offer of a $100 rebate on VMWare please mail me at
nigel+vmware at dev.intechnology.co.uk (the reply-to: on this message is
set to that address).   In your message include a line with your full
name and email address - ie
  Nigel Metheringham <Nigel.Metheringham at dev.InTechnology.co.uk>

After a week I'll mail VMWare a list of names/emails.

Do me a favour and send these to the right address - I may not notice
names sent to another address to the list.

And... for those not familiar with VMWare, its a Virtual Machine
software set - allowing you to run a virtual x86 machine under Linux,
which could be running a different OS (a way of encapsulating Windows
for example), or another Linux version for testing.   There are
alternative free VM-like systems - for example qemu, bochs & user-mode
linux; all of which have a slightly different focus and I think I am
fair in saying none of the free projects have anything like the polish
and scope of VMWare at present.  VMWare have worked with the Linux
community from their earliest days 5 years back.
	http://www.vmware.com/

Cheers
	Nigel.