[Wylug-announce] Next Meeting - Monday 12th January 2004

Jim Jackson jj at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Jan 8 15:57:19 GMT 2004

Greetings All,

Hope everyone enjoyed the 2.6 talk from Dave Jones, last month, and the
Dinner. Many thanks to Dave, and how timely, what with 2.6 officially
released now. Also thanks to James Holden for organising the dinner.

Ok it a new year so happy new year etc. At this months meeting we have Rik
Wade giving "An Introduction to IP Networking". He hopes to cover "the
basics of IP networking, using examples of home and small business
topologies. We will cover the basics of Ethernet and IP and move on to how
IP packets are routed between networks. We will assume static routing but
will briefly introduce the concept of dynamic routing protocols. If time
permits, we will include some discussion of the relationship between TCP
and IP using the example of a basic IP firewall."

Our second speaker is Peter Corlett, who is going to talk on "Security
contexts and vservers". Peter will cover what Security Contexts/vservers
are, how to install, general use with examples and gotchas. He'll also
cover other approaches to achieve the same ends.

Hope to see a lot people on Monday. Should be a good session.

cheers
Jim

                West Yorkshire Linux Users Group  (WYLUG)
             Meetings are free and open to anyone to attend.
                          ----             ------

                         Monday 12th January 2004

                      6:30 pm for Tea/Coffee and chat
                          7 pm prompt for meeting

                     An Introduction to IP Networking
                     --------------------------------
                             Rik Wade, Energis

                                   break

                       Security contexts and vservers
                       ------------------------------
                               Peter Corlett

        WYLUG Venue:  Active Learning Lab.,  (Level 9, near staircase 2)
                      E.C. Stoner Building   (aka Physics/Admin)
                      University of Leeds
                      Woodhouse Lane
                      Leeds UK

             for location of Leeds University & Campus Map see
                http://www.leeds.ac.uk/visitors/getting_here.htm
                http://www.leeds.ac.uk/campus/physa-1.html
                http://www.leeds.ac.uk/campus_map/campus.htm

    "Informal" Discussions Continue after the meeting at the Victoria Pub
     on Great George St. at the back of the Town Hall - Everyone Welcome