[Wylug-announce] Linux 20004 Conference, Leeds

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Wed Mar 10 06:46:43 GMT 2004

Here are the details of the UKUUG Linux conference in Leeds later this
year that I (rather ineloquently) mentioned at the end of Monday's
meeting.

It will be based at Leeds Uni on Friday July 29th-Sunday August 1st
(with tutorials on Thursday 28th).  An embryonic website is here:

  http://www.ukuug.org/events/linux2004/

Ways to be involved:

  * Attending:  There will be talks on a wide range of Linux-related
    topics, at a variety of levels.  The event manages to attract many
    speakers from abroad, including some with prominent involvement in
    Linux, many of whom you wouldn't normally get to see speak in the
    UK.  The website links through to previous years' events for you to
    get the idea of the type of content.

    The event is inexpensive (with generous student discounts), and of
    course its being local greatly helps reduce the cost (and indeed
    effort) of going.  Bookings are not yet being taken, but bear the
    dates in mind.

  * Presenting:  Ideas for talks are welcomed.  You do not need to be an
    internationally-reknowned Linux developer to speak at the
    conference.  If you have something of interest to say and are OK at
    speaking to a crowd of people then put a proposal forward.

    The deadline for abstracts is alarmingly close -- March 19th -- but
    note this only requires you to have an outline of a topic you'd like
    to speak on; if you get accepted, you have a further 2 months to
    come up with your presentation.

  * Sponsoring:  Conference fees are kept low because of the involvement
    of sponsors and exhbitors.  If you work for (or know) an
    organization that would be interested in supporting Linux 2004 then
    please contact UKUUG.

  * Helping:  Undoubtedly local volunteers will be needed for various
    things related to the event.  Linux 2003 was in Edinburgh, and Edlug
    helped UKUUG with its preparation; I'm sure Wylug members will want
    the Yorkshire event to be just as successful.  Nothing needs doing
    just yet, but please think if you could be involved.  Feel free to
    get in touch if you have any questions.

I hope that's more understandable than my ramblings on Monday night ...

Cheers.

Smylers