[Wylug-announce] FW: d-SY FLOSS-SIG - "Ubuntu - Linux for Human Beings" - Wed 19 October

Coxhead, George G.Coxhead at leedsmet.ac.uk
Tue Oct 11 10:06:05 BST 2005

Event Notification

George

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Holland [mailto:bobholland at bradwell.net]
Sent: 10 October 2005 20:34
To: floss at bradwell.net
Cc: Sara Marriott
Subject: d-SY FLOSS-SIG - "Ubuntu - Linux for Human Beings" - Wed 19
October

Dear colleague,

My apologies if you have received notice of this meeting from other
sources,
but it seems that some of you might not have received the meeting
announcement from d-SY.

The new release of Ubuntu Linux will be out later this week and was one
of the
star presentations of the LinuxWorld Expo at Olympia last Wednesday. You

might therefore like to attend this presentation from Canonical - the
company
behind the product - and perhaps pick up your copy.

Further details and FREE registration link are here...

	http://www.digitalsy.org.uk/EventInfo?eventid=136

--------------------------------

	"Ubuntu - Linux for Human Beings"
	Speaker: Malcolm Yates - Canonical Ltd
	Venue: Holiday Inn Sheffield
	Time: 18:30 with light buffet / refreshments from 18:00

 "Ubuntu" is an ancient African word, meaning "humanity to others".
Ubuntu
also means "I am what I am because of who we all are".

 In 2004, entrepreneur and "First African In Space" Mark Shuttleworth
and his
company Canonical Ltd launched Ubuntu Linux - a totally free
distribution for
novice users, offering both community and professional support.

 Ubuntu has quickly become a leading distribution in the free software
world,
focussing on usability, security and stability in both desktops and
server
environments, and on making free software widely available for
individuals
and organisations who are ready to switch from proprietary platforms.

 In July 2005, the Ubuntu Foundation was announced. With an initial
investment
of $10m, this will employ core Ubuntu community members to ensure that
Ubuntu
(http://www.ubuntu.com) will remain fully supported for an extended
period of
time.

 Our speaker will discuss the roadmap for Ubuntu, the role of Canonical
Ltd
and the developing Ubuntu partner network.

 The event will be of interest to potential end users (both individuals
and
businesses), training providers who are developing courses relating to
free
software and those from the vendor community who are thinking of working
with
Ubuntu as part of their business strategy.

 This free event is being supported by The IEE South Yorkshire Branch.

  Location: http://www.holidayinn-sheffield.co.uk/

--
Robert E B Holland CEng FIEE
Bradwell IT Solutions Ltd