[Wylug-announce] Next Meeting 10 April 2006

Phil Driscoll phil at dialsolutions.co.uk
Thu Apr 6 14:16:27 BST 2006

On Wednesday 05 April 2006 16:39, Dave Fisher wrote:
> Hopefully, the speakers themselves can post short synopses.
I'll probably only be talking about the GIS system if any of the other
presenters fail to show up, otherwise my talk will happen next month
alongside James Holden's AJAX talk.

Whether it's next Monday or next Month, I'll be talking about a GIS system
we've developed for the Yorkshire and Humberside Regional Broadband
Consortium (YHGfL) for use by all the schools in the region. It's hosted on
GNU/Linux systems and uses Apache, PHP and MySQL at the server end and a
combination of XHTML, Java and Javascript at the client end.

The aim was to produce a cross platform (and eGIF compliant) tool which would
allow pupils and teachers to:
view Ordnance Survery mapping data (both raster and vector)
view overhead photography
view and search gazetteer information (e.g. Ordnance Survey AddressPoint)
measure distances and areas
draw stuff on the maps
add their own geo-referenced information to the system

Along the way we've had to deal with some pretty large data sets, to coax the
database into handling large numbers of fairly hairy queries and make the
system play well with all the proxy caches between it and the users.
--
Phil Driscoll