[Wylug-announce] Next Meeting: Why I love Python (Monday, 14 Jan 2008)

Dave Fisher davef at davefisher.co.uk
Mon Jan 7 11:54:37 GMT 2008

Dear All,

Our next meeting will be on Monday 14 Jan 2008 in Leeds University's
Stoner Building.

The meeting room is sign-posted from the main Stoner Building entrance.

The meeting officially starts at 7.00 pm, but the room will be open for
coffee, tea, biscuits and chat from 6.30 pm.

Tom Hall  will be delivering the following talk:

  Why I love Python:

  A talk on the programming language Python, in 3 parts (feel free to leave in
  the interludes if you have had enough)

  Part 1: Past, Present, Future.

  A bit of history and the design of the language, a look at all the
  implementations available today, quick tour of built-in and commonly used
  modules and future plans.

  Part 2: Language overview

  A quick tour of the language: builtin types, control structures, using modules
  etc

  Part 3: Recent Magic.

  Some relatively recent changes that make programming Python even more
  pleasurable.  Decorators, Generators, List comprehensions, Iterators, Functools
  and anything else I can fit in.  Again a whirlwind tour, but you should be
  impressed and want to read up on these some more

Dave