[Wylug-announce] Reminder: Free software & tech activism skill-share, this Sunday

Mark Ruddell mark at phonecoop.coop
Thu Oct 2 11:39:13 UTC 2008

Sunday 5th Oct 2008 10AM - 4PM
Monthly tech skill-share at The Common Place, 23-25 Wharf Street, Leeds,
LS2 7EQ
/ALL WELCOME - free - no need to book/

*Theme for this month: On-line privacy & Data security (aka cryptoday
the second)*

Continuing our programme of popular skill-shares, The Common Place IT
Collective will facilitate a day of skill-sharing around GNU/Linux, free
software in general and tech activism. By popular demand, we're trying
to re-run some things that people prepared for our last "cryptoday" (if
you were one of them - please dust it off and bring your presentation or
ideas along)

Suggested programme:
0945 Activate coffee machine
1000 Introductions, finalise agenda for the morning according to who
   turns up
1015 Privacy & security-themed session, in the cinema room
1300 Presentation: Introduction to electronic privacy and security for
   activists
1330 Yorkshire Climate Camp take over the cinema room, we decant to the
   cafe room for lunch
1400 General FLOSS clinic, help for newbies, "now what can we install
   ubuntu on?" (bring yr machine if you like)
1600 Agree theme for next month; tidy up.

Note that we're expecting to share the building with Climate Camp during
the afternoon, hence the cross-over session at 1300. This will be an
introductory session, so any climate campers (or anyone else) who wants
to get into more advanced stuff should come along at 1000

If you want to see what we've done previously, look here:
http://www.thecommonplace.org.uk/content/view/89/53/

Should be fun - see you there
Mark