[Wylug-discuss] VCD creation - wrong aspect ratio.

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Jun 26 12:53:34 BST 2003

Simon Wood <Simon.Wood at pace.co.uk> wrote:
[...]
> I've ripped/encoded/burnt a VCD with a 16:9 aspect ratio and all is happy
> until Linux (VLC and Xine). However if I play the VCD on a cheapo hardware
> play, or with a Windows application, the picture is shown as 4:3 ratio -
> resulting in tall thin people.

> I used Kino to grab/edit/output mpeg stream and mkvcdfs to build the VCD
> image. Any suggestions as to what I might have missed to get the aspect
> ratio right?

The aspect ratio of VCD is 4:3. You can set the 16:9 flag in the file if you
like, but it'll be ignored by conformant players. It looks like the Linux
applications are non-conformant in that they support 16:9.

You are going to have to letterbox and/or crop the 16:9 video to fit a 4:3
display. This will reduce the quality, but that's VCD for you.

--
Did you know? #14
Elephants are the only animals that cannot jump.