[Wylug-discuss] Linux on the desktop (was [Wylug-help] Fw: Re: Installing a speedtouch modem)

Jim Jackson jj at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Nov 17 16:46:26 GMT 2003

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Rik Wade wrote:

> OpenOffice was the start of Good Things in that finally, one outfit was
> producing a single, _coordinated_ attempt at the office productivity suite
> problem. OpenOffice is good enough to use for production purposes, but
> only if you really can't afford the Real Thing.

Ok I'm renowned for being a terminal junky - even own a few REAL terminals
and use them! so GUIs are in general anathema to me. BUT I have had to use
MS Office to produce stuff for printers etc, and latterly I have used
OpenOffice to the same job and my experience is that OO is easier to use
and less frustrating than MSoffice. So I'd be interested to know why, Nik
and Rik seem to think it is inferior?

Interestingly the printer I dealt with knew I'd changed from MSOffice by
the better quality output, but thought I started using something real on a
MAC :-) I'll be interested in trying out the PDF writer stuff, I've not
gone to OO 1.1 yet.

Jim