[Wylug-discuss] Linux on the desktop (was [Wylug-help] Fw: Re: Installing a speedtouch modem)

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.InTechnology.co.uk
Mon Nov 17 16:59:49 GMT 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 16:46, Jim Jackson wrote:
> Ok I'm renowned for being a terminal junky - even own a few REAL terminals
> and use them! so GUIs are in general anathema to me. BUT I have had to use
> MS Office to produce stuff for printers etc, and latterly I have used
> OpenOffice to the same job and my experience is that OO is easier to use
> and less frustrating than MSoffice. So I'd be interested to know why, Nik
> and Rik seem to think it is inferior?

I'm pretty much in the same position, except I have *never* used MS Word
for non-trivial documents.   I do find myself fighting with OO when I do
use it (not all that often), although once you have a couple of
templates and a decent set of styles set up I can cope with it (it
occasionally does very odd things with tables).

I am as yet unconvinced that MS Word would be better.

I will still do significant sized documents in TeX.  Incidentally the
pdflatex output appears to be much much smaller than that of OO.

	Nigel.