[Wylug-discuss] Speakers for meetings in 2004!

Roger Leigh roger at whinlatter.uklinux.net
Wed Nov 26 23:24:33 GMT 2003

"Paul Grenyer" <paul at paulgrenyer.co.uk> writes:

>> Anyone got a talk they could give us?
>
> I could give a talk on Software Engineering, specifically in C++ if anyone
> is interested???

I would be /very/ interested in this (and I would travel from
Blackburn to attend).

I'm currently doing a lot of C++ work, but lacking any "formal"
software engineering experience, I'm sure this would be most useful.
(I'm currently just about to get into Design Patterns, which I've been
unconsciously using for a while, but it's time for me to start applying
them properly.)

As a followup to this talk, I could volunteer the following: I'm
currently working on an application written in Gtkmm at work (GTK+ C++
binding), using libglade and a PostgreSQL backend database (using
libpqxx and my own home-grown object serialisation system).  I could
use my experiences on this project to do a talk on
GTK+/Gtkmm/Glade/libglade and GUI design using the MVC pattern.  This
would be fairly introductory, covering GTK+ basics (widgets,
containers, signals and slots), Glade/libglade for GUI design and
separation of interface from implementation, the C++ bindings, and
overall GUI design.

Regards,
Roger

--