[Wylug-discuss] Mailservers et al.

Roger Leigh roger at whinlatter.uklinux.net
Thu Nov 27 19:47:47 GMT 2003

"Paul Grenyer" <paul at paulgrenyer.co.uk> writes:

[Mailservers, IMAP etc.]
> I'm sure there are a number of methods I could use. The sort of set-up
> I describe above is on my list of things to do and I haven't really
> looked into it in detail yet. I will have a look at your suggestion,
> though.

I recently switched from exim delivering to local mboxes (plus
procmail) to an IMAP setup.  It wasn't that difficult to do.

I'm now having Exim deliver to Maildirs in the user's home directory
(~/Maildir).  Courier IMAP daemon uses the users maildir as the IMAP
filestore, so users have the options of:
* Read mail locally from the maildir
* Read via IMAP from any machine
* Use some other delivery method of their own choosing.
Because the mail is delivered locally, users can easily use procmail
to filter mail into the maildir, which is then accessible via IMAP!

My main reason for switching was so I could interchangably use Gnus,
mutt and Mozilla mail.  So far, it's been very good, though I don't
know how suited to serious use Courier is--it can be slow even when
I'm the only one using it, though this is probably the fault of Gnus
when I leave a folder with several tens of thousands of mails in it.

--
Roger Leigh