[Wylug-discuss] Anyone in meanwood?

Chris James mail at chrisjames.me.uk
Thu Oct 30 14:32:41 GMT 2003

Quoting kai.che at ntlworld.com:

> > From: "James Holden (Wylug)" <wylug at jamesholden.net>
> > Date: 2003/10/30 Thu PM 01:52:39 GMT
> > To: wylug-discuss at wylug.org.uk
> > Subject: Re: [Wylug-discuss] Anyone in meanwood?

> > Chris James wrote:
> > | Hi all,
> > |
> > | I'm looking for someone who lives in meanwood, who would be prepared to
> > | help me out getting broadband. The flat I live in wont allow me to
> > | install it (long story!) but I have wonderful line-of-sight views over
> > | meanwood valley.
> > |
> > | I am planning to install a wireless network uplink from the house of
> > | whoever can help. I would provide kit (hopefully all indoor stuff
> > | through windows - i've been told it should) and would be willing to pay
> > | to share someones broadband connection (or even get my own installed).
> > |
> > | See this post on consume_leeds for details + photos :
> > | http://lists.gink.org/consume/Oct03/0598.html. I look down on the
> > | rugby/football pitch, meanwood road, steinbeck road etc.
> > |
> > | It would be quite a fun challenge and would help my research (I am a
> > | masters student at leeds uni researching cyberlaw), so I am really
> > | hoping that either you can help me directly or know of someone who can.
> > |
> > | Here's hoping,
> > |
> > | Chris.
> >
> > I'm on the wrong side of the ridge, unfortunately, at LS6 2TY. What was
> > the problem with your flat, out of interest? ADSL is no different to
> > having a normal BT line, and Cable is no different to having cable TV,
> > you just connect the ethernet cable to the STB. Surely if they won't
> > allow you to get a bit of wire in for a phone line, they're not going to
> > be best pleased at you sticking a mast on the roof!
> >
> > James
> >

> maybe that is exactly what he intends; a game of brinkmanship with his land
> lord.
> "no braodband for me , eh? its time to play rough!"
>
> or something
>
> culminating in running his own free distributed ISP wired and wireless fed by
> a two way sat link.

That would be wonderful! Sadly though, I will not be able to install a mast
either - but there is an excellent spot for mounting an antennae just inside
the window - possibly even using a camera tripod. A bit of a kludge, but needs
must. (well... not strictly 'must'... I could always just stick with dial up,
but where's the fun in that?! :) My flat is serviced by a private telco called
Keycom, they have a contract with my landlord. As such, no ADSL + no cable tv.
Incidently the photos I linked to above were taken from my window - not the
roof!

Gareth, would appreciate the directional arial sometime - drop me a line and
let me know when would be most convenient for you.

Chris.

----- End forwarded message -----

Chris James // mail at chrisjames.me.uk