[Wylug-discuss] CUPS

Jon Stockill jon at stockill.org.uk
Wed Sep 17 15:55:51 BST 2003

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, ALLEN, David wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have installed the cups version of ghostscript and it started working!
> Could someone please explain in simple pre -school language what is the
> connection between cups and ghostscript? If I send a raw text file to the
> printer, is it converted to postscript for the printer by ghostscript?

No, that's usually handled by a2ps. Is cups definitely printing to your
printer in postscript mode, or is the info being rasterised by ghostscript
and fed to the printer as PCL or something similar? I suspect it's the
latter that's happening, as it potentially allows better control over the
printer.

--
Jon Stockill
jon at stockill.org.uk