[Wylug-discuss] not eggxactly phishing

Phil Driscoll phil at dialsolutions.co.uk
Tue Apr 27 11:21:52 BST 2004

Given the purported cost to banks of the phishing scams, I find it hard to
believe that egg can be a stupid as they obviously are. Of late, all emails I
receive from the company contain web addresses like this one:

http://tn01.com/eggcom/sbct.cgi?s=943647936&i=938924&m=1&d=5560643

Doesn't look like it really comes from egg does it? Follow the link and you
get to a page which asks you for username password etc. In fact the link
really does redirect you to egg's login page (though we all know how easy it
is to fake it to look like that on IE), and I've checked with egg - they
confirm that the emails are genuine.

How on earth is the average non technical punter supposed to differentiate
between this and a phishing scam?

I've been trying to publicise this stupidity further afield, but to date,
neither The Register or The Inquirer seem to want to run with the story.

Ho hum
--
Phil Driscoll