[Wylug-discuss] DVD-RW fun... don't buy a Sony.

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Tue Aug 10 11:28:35 BST 2004

Nick Jeffery wrote:
| James Holden wrote:
|
|> I thought I'd start doing DVD versions of distros on fastdiscs, so I
|> went for a Sony DR-18A from CCL, only it turns out to be a cheapie
|> LiteOn hiding under the Sony brand.
|>
|> SO....
|>
|> Don't buy a Sony, they're gold plated camel dung.
|

| I've not had problems with any of my Lite-On drives.  They seem to
have the
| performance and reliability of Plextor, but at a quarter of the price.
|
| Nick.

Plextor and lite-on are in two totally different classes.

I have a plextor cd-rw drive, coming in at about £70 rather than £25 and
the difference is very clear when you have two drives side by side.

I don't ever burn at 52X, but perfer to throttle back to 32X. The
Plextor completes the burn around 15% faster than the LiteOn 52x32x52 drive.

The Plextor also has a much more solid feel. I can also confirm that the
quality of the burns is much better. I have never had a disc returned
that was made on the Plextor. The LiteOn has about a 1 in 50 failure rate.

Obviously I burn a lot of discs, and I evaluated several drives and many
different types of media, but for CD-R, Plextor and Taiyo Yuden is a
winning combination by a mile.

I'm starting the same process with DVD-R now, and the NEC drive is
looking good. I just need to settle on the right media. The chap from
Linux Emporium, who I was talking to at the conference last week, swore
by Sony media.

Sadly, in the world of media, not all is what it seems. The brand on the
packaging is often nothing to do with who really made the media. To make
matters worse, some "trusted" brands actually swap and change the
manufacturer, so you can buy "Well Known Brand" and get Ritek one day
and CMC the next (eg: 3M/Imation... grr!).

James

- --
James Andrew Holden, Leeds, UK    (james at jamesholden dot net)
GPG Key: 1024D/8358863A    *Please encrypt mail where possible!*
Fingerprint:  32C9 A76F 3CFE A06C 1B00  5AAB 9877 4742 8358 863A
jamesholden.net ICQ: 11290827 >Buy Linux CDs from fastdiscs.com<