[Wylug-discuss] best sig ever

Dave Fisher davef at gbdirect.co.uk
Tue Aug 24 10:00:28 BST 2004

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 09:11:27AM +0100, Jim Jackson wrote:
> :-) It's actually pretty old. I believe it originated as just "Windows",
> in the early 90's by one of the stalwarts on the comp.os.cpm newsgroup!
>
> To be fair, only Windows 3.1, 95, 98 and ME fit the bill - they are least
> tried a rewrite with NT/200X/XP whatever one might think of the
> engineering quality. Also it's poetic license about "originally coded for
> a 4 bit micro", but the rest stand up well.

Yep, it was truer and funnier in the early 90s.

Current NT-derived Windows OSes have their faults, but in some ways they
are more like Unix than they are like their DOS-based predecessors.

Personally, I think that people living in OSS glass houses should avoid
stone throwing.

Here are just a few of the many fundamental usability issues that
Windows users don't have to deal with:

  OSS Printing Systems -- so many sub-optimal packages to choose from!

  X Configuration -- Gurus with infinite time on their hands struggle to
                     wrestle its complexity to the ground!

  Character encoding -- at least Windows gets it wrong consistently!

  Documentation -- Does it even exist? Which one of a dozen formats is it in?
                   What were they smoking when they wrote it? Have they even
                   heard of the concept of an illustrative example?

I shall have more to say on the subject in November ;-)

Dave