[Wylug-discuss] best sig ever

Aaron Crane wylug at aaroncrane.co.uk
Thu Aug 26 14:07:00 BST 2004

Dave Fisher writes:
> Aaron Crane wrote:
> > The Layout Options tab has a foldout labelled "CapsLock key behaviour; I
> > select "Make CapsLock an additional Control", then click Add.
>
>  The "Make CapsLock an additional Control" option is actually under
>  "Control Key Position" under the Layout Options tab on my system

It looks like it's in both places (which seems sensible enough to me).

> I supose my real point was (in your words) "the available XKB tools don't
> yet go so far as to make it easy to add new options", i.e. you have to
> work quite hard to figure out the X keyboard-input model.

Well, I don't think you _do_ have to know the X keyboard-input model any
more -- unless you're doing something unusual, like trying to adapt a
two-handed keyboard for single-handed use.  That change is what, I think,
makes this stuff such an improvement over xmodmap and, by extension, over
the best GUI systems that were available on Linux only a short time ago:
before, all customizations needed expert knowledge, but now, only the
unusual ones do.

In fact, now that I think to look, I can't even find the term "XKB" exposed
anywhere in the Gnome UI.  I believe this is a good thing.

--
Aaron Crane