[Wylug-discuss] Computers to recycle / donate

Jim Jackson jj at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Dec 23 11:07:08 GMT 2004

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Mischa Oliver Altmann wrote:

> I think Rik's offer highlights an important point which might be worth
> discussing in more detail: how to recycle computers.
>
> It's a problem not only private users encounter but equally large companies
> or institutions (Leeds University comes to mind).
>
> Over the last years I've collected a couple of ancient Pentium (90 and
> 133MHz) Systems in seemingly cast-iron cases. Apart from using them as
> routers/firewalls, I wonder what use they have.
>
> How would you suggest getting rid (ecologically sound, that is) of such
> antiquated equipment? I have recently joined the freecycle[1] mailing list
> of Leeds[2] where I will probably offer them for free. However, this
> doesn't answer the question of how to dispose of electronic equipment.

Here in the School of Computing we get rid of old equipment via Roseville
Enterprises, part of Leeds City Council. They will collect for free is
there is sufficient quantity.

They are training workshop

http://www.through-the-maze.org.uk/pages/RosevilleEnterprises

I believe they can will erase your harddrives and certify that. The
equipment is either re-used were possible or scrapped and recycled
legally.