[Wylug-discuss] Computers to recycle / donate

Mischa Oliver Altmann een2moa at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Dec 22 18:25:59 GMT 2004

Dear WYLUG

I think Rik's offer highlights an important point which might be worth
discussing in more detail: how to recycle computers.

It's a problem not only private users encounter but equally large companies
or institutions (Leeds University comes to mind).

Over the last years I've collected a couple of ancient Pentium (90 and
133MHz) Systems in seemingly cast-iron cases. Apart from using them as
routers/firewalls, I wonder what use they have.

How would you suggest getting rid (ecologically sound, that is) of such
antiquated equipment? I have recently joined the freecycle[1] mailing list
of Leeds[2] where I will probably offer them for free. However, this
doesn't answer the question of how to dispose of electronic equipment.

thank you,
  Mischa

____
[1] original idea: http://www.freecycle.org/

--
Mischa Oliver Altmann
Student Representative of Level 3, Elec.Engineering

personal website: http://www.altmann.at/~mischa (in a terrible state)