[Wylug-discuss] IMAP Server Recommendation

Rik Wade rik at rikwade.com
Mon Feb 16 13:52:57 GMT 2004

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> Courier works well as long as you are happy with Maildir storage.   I
> have a few places with it installed, along with sqwebmail & maildrop
> (sqwebmail is a web f/e - useful for getting at mail when you have no
> trustable clietns around.  It also allows web editing of delivery
> recipies used by maildrop - which is nice for relatively naive users).

I've just done an apt-get install for the Courier stuff, but noticed that
the Debian package now includes kitchen+sink+garage+junk in that the
MTA, IMAPd, POP3d etc. are all in one now. Not quite what I wanted.

I read on the Courier site that it does support mbox, which is my
current format. I know that MailDir is better, faster, quicker etc.
but I feel comfortable with mbox and haven't wanted to change (yet).

Perhaps I can use this as an excuse to change to MailDir?

> I hear good things said about dovecot
> 	http://dovecot.procontrol.fi/
> I am intending to migrate one system to that and then hopefully the
> rest.

I have also looked at Dovecot, which sounds like a great IMAPd. There
weren't any packages for debian in the official archives, but some are
available from the Dovecot site. I think it's also available from
backports (Debian Stable but-up-to-date package archive).

Looking at this Courier package, I may well go for Dovecot and take a
look at the configuration associated with it. Will using mbox give me
significant headaches when trying to set up and use IMAP? I understand
the potential locking issues.
--
rik