[Wylug-discuss] IMAP Server Recommendation

Dave Fisher davef at gbdirect.co.uk
Mon Feb 16 15:03:55 GMT 2004

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 01:52:57PM +0000, Rik Wade wrote:

> I have also looked at Dovecot, which sounds like a great IMAPd. There
> weren't any packages for debian in the official archives, but some are
> available from the Dovecot site. I think it's also available from
> backports (Debian Stable but-up-to-date package archive).
>
> Looking at this Courier package, I may well go for Dovecot and take a
> look at the configuration associated with it. Will using mbox give me
> significant headaches when trying to set up and use IMAP? I understand
> the potential locking issues.

I've been using Dovecot on Debian for about 6 months and am very happy
about it.  It's simple and has the advantage of coping with Maildir or
mbox.  On reflection, I think I made the wrong choice by converting to
Maildir (out of curiousity).  I now hanker for the simplicity of using
mbox with grep and vim.

Courier was the only other imapd that I really considered, viewing Cyrus
and UW imapd just too much.

Dave