[Wylug-discuss] Mulitilink PPP with ADSL on Linux

Edward Chapman eddie at ehuk.net
Sun Feb 29 11:01:26 GMT 2004

Which ISP is this, and are these two connections really combined using
multilink PPP or are they two separate ADSL connections with a box using
round robin?

There are a lot of cheap boxes on the market which appear to do bonding
but are just round robin.  The only kit on the market which does true
bonding (where the connections are combinedin to one) using multilink ppp
are cisco routers costing over £1000, and the ISP has to have mlppp setup
on their end.  Nildram are the only ISP doing this at the moment.

Up to now the cheapest way to get upload speeds higher than 256kbs
has been SDSL which still costs a few hundred at least to setup and over
£150 per month line rental.  That's if you can get it.

Now with Nildram it's possible to have true 512, 768 or 1024 Kbps upload
(minus about 3% overhead for mlppp)  with 2, 3 or 4 ADSL lines  on one PC
with Linux and 2, 3 or 4 Speedtouch.