[Wylug-discuss] Hello

Roger Leigh roger at whinlatter.uklinux.net
Sun Feb 29 10:47:01 GMT 2004

"Daniel Eliades" <eliades at student.fdu.edu> writes:

> I just wanted to introduce myself as I am a newbie to linux and a
> newbie to the group.  I use Mandrake 9.2 and I am interested in
> programming with linux.

Excellent!  For programming stuff, USENET is very useful:
comp.os.linux.development.apps and language-specific groups such as
comp.lang.c, comp.lang.c++ etc. can be very helpful.

> Also if anyone could guide me in the right direction to learn about
> the kernel that would be great.

There are several books on the topic.  IIRC the book by Rubini and
Corbet is the better one ("Linux Device Drivers", IIRC).  There are
others, such as Understanding the Linux Kernel.  If you want to write
device drivers, the former is the best.  For anything else, there are
a number of books out there that claim to cover the kernel.

And of course there's the source.  It's not too hard to read, but
what you really need is an overview of how all the pieces fit
together.

Regards,
Roger

--