[Wylug-discuss] Spammers getting smarter?

Mark Ruddell ruddell at doctors.org.uk
Sun Jan 18 10:09:08 GMT 2004

James Holden (Wylug) wrote:
> Steve King wrote:
> | On Sat, 17 Jan 2004, James Holden (Wylug) wrote:
> |

> |>Who's using auto-whitelisting, or some other system to beat the spam?
> |>Does it work, or is it too much hassle?
> |

> | I have my own domain, and when I use my email address online I use
> | <company>@mydomain. I see almost zero spam @mydomain, and when I do I
> | just blacklist that to address, but i've only had to do that twice so
> | far.  It also makes it very easy to see where this spam came from.
> |
> | Steve
>
> Sadly, most of my spam comes into long-standing addresses that too many
> people know about. I do tend to do the same now though when I have to
> give my email address on-line.
>
> James

Hi James,

I see you're using Mozilla 1.4, I'm using 1.5 and I've found the
Bayesian filter to be effective. I get 60-80 spams per day and 1 or 2
get through. I check for false-positives one day each fortnight, and
there's been none so far. I presume that if I had more friends with very
poor spelling or using accented characters, this would get worse.

Have you tried these 'Junk Mail Controls'?

Mark