[Wylug-discuss] Spammers getting smarter?

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Sun Jan 18 22:43:29 GMT 2004

James Holden (Wylug) writes:

> ... emails where the positions of the letters within the word are
> randomly moved around, so my spam filter fails to catch it.
>
> STILL NO LUKC ENRGAILNG IT?
>
> ... the actual message content is getting really rather irrelevant,
> since it's effectively noise with just enough order for humans to get
> the message.
>
> Who's using auto-whitelisting, or some other system to beat the spam?
> Does it work, or is it too much hassle?

You could try running a spelling-checker on incoming mails and treating
suspicously any with a high rate of non-words -- of course that'd also
force your friends and colleagues to take care over composing you mails,
but would that be such a bad thing?  Could a hoax become reality:

  http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/pluperfect-hoax.html

Smylers