[Wylug-discuss] MySQL and Uniface

Nick Moulsdale nick at ebi.ndo.co.uk
Tue Jul 20 13:17:12 BST 2004

A bit exotic this – or perhaps not?

For reasons we won’t go into here we are in the process of having a new
Software system for our business. Its on a new Dell server running RH Linux.
Kernel version is 2.4.20-28.8. We have settled on MySQL as the database, but
The main software suite uses Uniface as its 4GL. The Company installing and
rewriting are SCO Unix supporters (please excuse the language) and are very
wary. They tried to get us to use Oracle, but at an extra £15k for 30 users
I was able to tell them the budget would not support it.

Now the point of all this rambling is ...... Apart from ODBC is there a
better way for Uniface to use MySQL as its database? I've tried Uniface's
site and the only other possibility I could see is to use Ingres when it
becomes Open Source in November 04. Or is there a better way?

Thanks for any help

Nick

N.G. Moulsdale FCA
Group Finance Director