[Wylug-discuss] Openbrick, storever - Has anyone used these?

Martyn ranyardm at lineone.net
Wed Jul 21 00:45:29 BST 2004

On Tuesday 20 July 2004 8:37 pm, Dan Walker wrote:
> Yeah, I know, overkill. But nice. And ¬140 isn't that much for a new
> toy. I was thinking a CF boot disk, but they're still rather a lot over
> here for decent-sized ones.

My personal fave (and what we - synergistic - base one of our products on) :

VIA Sereniti Case (£45) - mini-itx.com*
VIA EPIA 800 Board (£69) - mini-itx.com**
32M Integral USB Key from CCL (£8)
Net Card from CCL (£4) or if you're feeling experimental the SparkCom ADSL
Card - closed source drivers - I have managed to get them working on LEAF,
but then lost the key it was on! (£20)
LEAF Bering http://leaf.sf.net/ (the successor to LRP)

You can't use the front USB/sound on that case, but that's not huge.
The USB Keys are bootable, just fdisk for fat and use syslinux - the usual
LEAF way - and find the USB delay bit for LEAF - mail me for more details if
you need to.

* Some of the Morex cases will allow you to utilize front usb on the
motherbords.  I prefer the Sereniti as it stands as a tower better, and takes
a standard 5.25" bay, whereas most mini-itx cases only take slimline
readers/writers.  Also the Sereniti has inbuilt power supply, whereas the
Morexes are external laptop-style block ac/dc adapters - this is both a good
and a bad point for both.  Oh, and the Travla cases are good for having more
than one PCI slot.
** The 500Mhz version requires no fan at all.

HTH
--
Martyn