[Wylug-discuss] Gnome 2.6. Mime Type Icon Woes

Dave Fisher davef at gbdirect.co.uk
Sun Jun 20 16:35:10 BST 2004

On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 03:37:39PM +0100, Neil Pilgrim wrote:
> Dave Fisher wrote:
> Apart from the spatial browsing, which I can't comment on ATM since I've
> not used it, is it faster or shinier, or generally better in some
> discernible way? I heard its certainly supposed to be faster...

It appears faster (although less of a improvement than I achiebed merely
by adding more RAM).

> [nautilus icons are somewhat broken]
> > The Gnome documentation seems to assume that you only need to know how
> > to install and customise themes, because once they are installed they
> > 'just work' (ho, ho! ... how long have these folks been using Linux?).
> >
> > So, can anyone tell me where gnome hides the configuration to associate
> > file types with icons?
>
> gnome-file-types-properties seems to bring up a dialog much like the one
> you want. However for me, running the previous gnome, the icons in each
> association seem blank...

Yep, that's exactly where I got to.  I should have mentioned that when
posting.  Surely, I don't have to manually set an icon for every
individual mime type (and all those psuedo mimetypes that various people
seem to 'make up' all the time?

<snip>
> This debian bug might be relevant to the particular problem you're
> having: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=251335
>
> This lists quite a few things which could cause the problem, though
> hopefully quite a few are in older versions of the packages. It also
> (finally) points to a message on a debian mailing list, which explains
> the likely current problem:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gnome/2004/06/msg00197.html
>
> AFAICT from a brief reading, this basically says (as does the debian irc
> channel I follow) that nautilus is (lightly) broken until an updated
> capplets package arrives. So either
> - downgrade nautilus for a while
> - live with the not-very-helpful icons
>
> Or maybe check the bug tracking system to see what progresses...
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=nautilus

<snip>

Thanks Neil, that's all useful stuff.  I've no idea who's at fault here,
but my problem certainly seems to fit the description, i.e. it looks a
bit Debian-specific.

BTW, how did you identfy that particular bug report?

Dave

P.S. Good luck in Aberdeen.