[Wylug-discuss] Gnome 2.6. Mime Type Icon Woes

Dave Fisher davef at gbdirect.co.uk
Sun Jun 20 18:01:34 BST 2004

On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 04:35:10PM +0100, Dave Fisher wrote:
> Thanks Neil, that's all useful stuff.  I've no idea who's at fault here,
> but my problem certainly seems to fit the description, i.e. it looks a
> bit Debian-specific.

No, I take that uncertainty back.  Debian's Gnome 2.6 is well and truly
shagged.  After following Neil and John's advice I managed to get icons
in the right places, but ...

1. Theme weirdness

At login, a strange mix of Nuvola and default gtk theming seems to apply
(e.g. the really ugly gtk home directory icon), but merely clicking on
the Gnome Control Center 2 icon magically enforces a consistent Nuvola
theme, i.e. I don't have to touch a single config in the Control Center
itself, or anywhere else for that matter!

2. Gnome Panel and Applets Shagged

Oops!, no clock, Desktop switcher, applications list, mixer applet,
system monitor, etc.

e.g.

   The panel encountered a problem while loading
   "OAFIID:GNOME_WorkspaceSwitcherApplet".  Details: Unknown CORBA
   exception id: 'IDL:omg.org/CORBA/INV_OBJREF:1.0'

3. Virtual desktop arrangement shagged

My grid of 4 becomes a line of 4, with no obvious GUI control to reset
it.

4. Can't run sawfish pager

   (pager:5136): Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkdraw.c: line 651
   (gdk_draw_drawable): assertion `src != NULL' failed

Oh well, looks like I might be backing out of this 'upgrade' for a
while.

Dave