[Wylug-discuss] paper recycling

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Sat Mar 6 00:51:40 GMT 2004

Steve King <steve at kingsteve.co.uk> wrote:
> Does anyone know of a company who will pick up our waste paper? The few
> I've managed to find want us to pay them! We don't want to be paid, but
> would like it to be picked up. We don't produce masses of paper, but
> probably a couple of reams a week.

Waste paper is uneconomic to recycle and the price the recyclers can get for
it is negligible. It costs more to collect than it is worth. Consider that
they're going to be burning diesel in the collection vehicles and in
processing, it's arguably worse for the environment than just dumping it in
landfill.

Consider landfill to be a "carbon bank", locking it away from the atmosphere :)

Saying that, Leeds do now have a recycling scheme that collects waste paper,
card, cans and plastic bottles from those residential properties they have
provided a green wheelie bin to. Whether it is anything but an attempt to be
seen to be doing something is debatable - after all it is still unsorted and
dirty waste of debatable commercial value.

> I tried ringing our council, but they were engaged the few times I've
> tried.

This does not surprise me in the least. Recorded Delivery letters seems to
be the only reliable way to get through to my council.

--
A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to
read.