[Wylug-discuss] paper recycling

Shaun Laughey shaun.laughey at pyr2.com
Sat Mar 6 02:56:23 GMT 2004

Peter Corlett wrote:

>Steve King <steve at kingsteve.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Does anyone know of a company who will pick up our waste paper? The few
>>I've managed to find want us to pay them! We don't want to be paid, but
>>would like it to be picked up. We don't produce masses of paper, but
>>probably a couple of reams a week.
>>

>Waste paper is uneconomic to recycle and the price the recyclers can get for
>it is negligible. It costs more to collect than it is worth. Consider that
>they're going to be burning diesel in the collection vehicles and in
>processing, it's arguably worse for the environment than just dumping it in
>landfill.
>
>Consider landfill to be a "carbon bank", locking it away from the atmosphere :)
>
>Saying that, Leeds do now have a recycling scheme that collects waste paper,
>card, cans and plastic bottles from those residential properties they have
>provided a green wheelie bin to. Whether it is anything but an attempt to be
>seen to be doing something is debatable - after all it is still unsorted and
>dirty waste of debatable commercial value.
>

>>I tried ringing our council, but they were engaged the few times I've
>>tried.
>>

>This does not surprise me in the least. Recorded Delivery letters seems to
>be the only reliable way to get through to my council.
>
>--
>A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to
>read.
>								- Mark Twain

I want to see how this recycling is done. Leeds Waste Management are in charge.
Their phone number is 01133950326
Maybe if enough people phone they'll organise a lavish open day for all.
Perhaps they already do.
Oh and hopefully they are doing better now than what I found on here
http://europa.eu.int/comm/regional_policy/urban2/urban/audit/leeds/leeds16.htm
At least they don't burn it... yet...

Shaun Laughey,
womble.