[Wylug-discuss] What Do you Call your Machine??

James Holden (WYLUG) wylug at jamesholden.net
Sat Mar 13 21:22:26 GMT 2004

Richard Waite wrote:
> just out of intrest
> What Do you call your machine?
> and why?
[snip]

Mine have crappy names, mostly based on what's written on the front:

thinkpad - Ummm.... my laptop, an IBM, amazingly.
dan - My wife's P3 machine, built by Dan Ltd.
duron - My spare machine for testing stuff on.
o2 - My SGI O2, for video editing
indigo2 - My SGI R10K Indigo2, the fileserver and CD burning machine
theo - A Sparcstation4, running OpenBSD 3.3, the firewall. Named after
OBSD creator Theo De Raadt.
indy - The secondary MX and DNS for my domains, a SGI Indy R4400
nemesys - An ancient Pentium 200 machine. Originally a 386DX40, built by
a now defunct beige box builder of the same name.
box - Another ancient Pentium-class machine.
dream - A four-way SGI Challenge L with 1GB of RAM. The name is
inherited from it's days at Leeds Uni.
zion - My colocated box, named after the mainframe in the Matrix
riscpc - An Acorn RISC PC 600, with a 486 card.
indigo - An SGI R3000 Indigo
extreme - An R4400 Indigo2 with the 'Extreme' triple-decker graphics system.

Of those, thinkpad, dan, indigo2, theo, indy and zion are on 24x7. Also,
duron, o2 and dream are connected up but not switched on. thinkpad,
indigo2, o2 and duron are on a KVM. All the rest are sat around.

wlan and laserjet are also network hosts, but not proper machines, of
course.

Good grief, that's a lot of machines! There is also around 12 other
machines which don't have any OS, or have never been on the LAN, or are
too old to network (ie: made in the late '70s to early '90s).

James