[Wylug-discuss] What Do you Call your Machine??

bytephreak bytey at uk-geek.net
Sat Mar 13 23:36:29 GMT 2004

Mine are a mishmash of names from back in my student house days to now.
So they are either named after comic characters or locations/characters
form LOTR (or in the case of 2 whatever my girlf wanted to call her
machines since she would not conform to the naming standard:( )

at home we have

"Sentinal" - firewall
"Wraith" - My main nix box and workstation
"Anduin" - XP dev platform
"Frodo" - Sharp 1214 laptop
"Bloodbank" - Filestore / Download box
"Lorien" - Media Centre
"Phantom" - Test rig
"Glytch" - Ipaq
"Gouki" - Xbox
"Wallace" - My girlfriends workstation
"Gromit" - My girlfriends lappy
"Delia" - Recipe store kitchen web access
"Mordor" - Web/FTP/Backup station

Then in the office all the servers are named after Egyptian gods so we
have

Horous
Isis
Osiris
Anubis
Amen
Serapis

Workstations have not very interesting but logical names depending on
location and group function.

The worst names I came across was a few year back when I was doing some
work on a small Windows network and the names had been left as the
default ones windows gives them.

Regards
Wayne