Please confirm your message - Re: [Wylug-discuss] server based /home

James Holden (WYLUG) wylug at jamesholden.net
Mon Mar 15 23:09:27 GMT 2004

Gary Stainburn wrote:
> I know that James won't be receiving this because of the email I've just
> received to my last post but:

I did, because you sent it to the list, as well as to my own address.
Normally when people do that it means I get two copies of the same message.

> If you find it necesary to set up a confirmation routine for ALL incoming
> emails, please don't bother sending the messages to me.

It doesn't do it for all emails, only for unknown senders, like
yourself. Remember, the mail which caused the automatic response didn't
come through the list.

> If you must set up these filters, please configure them to allow through any
> posts from mailing lists to which YOU have SUBSCRIBED and therefore agreed to
> receive mail from.

It does allow posts from the Wylug lists to get through. It was the
email you sent directly to my address (thereby having YOUR address as
the sender) which triggered the autoresponder.

In fact, Wylug list mail doesn't ever hit the autoresponder because it's
filtered by procmail into a different folder by looking at the 'Sender:'
and 'List-ID:' headers.

> Rant over.

That's a funny way to get whitelisted, but I appreciate that some people
don't like this sort of thing. Well I happen to not like getting around
500 (mostly pornographic or fraudulent) spams per day to wade through. I
think of the filter making me a bit like being ex-directory.

James